Discussing how people improve as software engineers is something I really enjoy studying, thinking and reading about.
I have written in the past about:
I love thinking/reading about questions like:
- How do people progress professionally as engineers?
- How do developers go from Senior to Staff or beyond?
- How do Engineer scale themselves?
Part of the answer I think, is looking at:
- Compotency Matrices and Career Progression ladders companies put out to explain what they expect in each role.
- Individual opinions from industry experts who have gone from Mid-Level Engineer to CTO (etc)
Trying to look and standardise what totally different companies search for - helps you understand what is valuable in the marketplace.
This has led me to compiling around 70 publicly accessible career matrices from companies around the world, from places like:
- Khan Academy
- Circle CI
- Financial Times
You can read them all here
I've been spending time looking at areas where I'm strong and looking where I'm weaker too - searching for ways I can grow & improve.
I hope this is of use to you too!